Parkwalk invests in UK companies that are commercialising research and technology that has spun out from a UK university or research-intensive institution. We believe this distinct asset class has the ability not only to generate attractive investment returns but also positive returns for UK plc, and broader society.
The technologies we back have normally been incubated over several years in their respective university, have been peer reviewed and are IP-protected, sitting at the cutting edge of innovation and creating solutions to real-world challenges. The current portfolio employs over 1,500 highly skilled people, and have over 1,500 patent families protecting their products and know-how.
The knowledge creation and trickle-down impact of the portfolio company work on society is impossible to quantify. But there have been leaps forward in med-tech, cleantech, AI / machine learning, disease diagnosis, interpretation of genomic data, gene therapies etc as a result of our investments.
The UK is a world leader in terms of R&D with approximately 1% of the world’s population but 16% of the mostly highly cited research papers
The UK is a university superpower with four of the 10 top-rated universities in the world, five of the top 20 and ten of the top 50
Adjusted for the size of their economies, the UK now exceeds the US in number of spinouts formed, disclosures of discoveries, patents and licenses
Government expenditure on Research & Development is set to expand to 2.4% of GDP as the UK looks to builds a new modern industrial base
- We invest in UK companies that are commercialising technology that has spun out from a British university or research institution
- The technology is well tested and IP-protected, sitting at the cutting edge of innovation and creating solutions to real-world challenges
- We invest in global sectors of strategic importance to UK Plc, such as life sciences, AI and quantum computing, advanced materials, genomics, cleantech, future of mobility, medtech and big data
Emerging asset class
- We believe that after two decades of expansion in mobile and web technologies, we are now at the start of a new trend of deeper technologies that will impact all industries and create immense value
- This has been heightened by the professionalisation of this asset class over the last 10-20 years as universities look to capitalise on the R&D and IP incubated within the research institutions for many years before emerging into a new company
Parkwalk Funds invest in dynamic university spin-out companies seeking to commercialise intellectual property and technology. From investing in seed to later stage companies, we help fantastic management teams develop and build world-class successful businesses.
Oxford Endovascular is developing next-generation medical devices for neurovascular disease. The Company’s sophisticated metallic mesh tube devices and systems can be used to treat patients suffering from brain aneurysms. The tubes are made from a special metal alloy which has a shape memory and unfolds in the blood vessel when in place. The product and
An Imperial College spinout, Ceres Power has developed low cost, steel fuel cells that operate on mains natural gas. The cells can be manufactured using standard steel and ceramic products and standard industrial processes. The high efficiency of the cells keeps cost down and reduces the carbon footprint of energy production. The flexibility of the
Ditto’s platform technology allows companies to automate decision-making in a way that is accountable, transparent and ethical. The company provides artificial intelligence to organisations operating in regulated, safety-critical and error-intolerant environments. The explainable AI interface doesn’t just give answers, it also shows how it reached a conclusion, with the reasons laid out in pla